The Government, through the Independent Consumer and Competition Commission (“ICCC”) PNG and the Tourism Promotion Authority (“PNGTPA”) did a review of the tourism industry and developed the Tourism Master Plan. Under the Tourism Master Plan various projects have been identified for implementation. The information below will inform you of the progress of these projects and how they will have an impact on the overall goal of the Tourism Master Plan.
TOURISM MASTER PLAN (TMP) IMPLEMENTATION UPDATE
FACTS AND CONSIDERATIONS:
The fundamental objective of the implementation of the TMP is to achieve the overall goal which is to; Increase the overall economic value of tourism to the nation by doubling the number of tourists on holiday in PNG every five years and maximizing sustainable tourism growth for the social and environmental benefit for all Papua New Guineans.
STATUS UPDATE 2011:
The TMP has identified a work program over the next ten years on five (5) focal areas as outlined in the above mentioned objectives. Each focal area has a number of recommendations and key actions that need to be implemented.
The recommendations are updated and reviewed on a monthly basis through the TMP Implementation Working Group (IWG) which meets every two months and is made up of various key government agencies and the tourism industry members.
Hence action and implementation has followed these work programs. Listed below are projects that have been completed thus far, projects that are currently being worked upon and projects that have not been implemented thus far which are going to be implemented commencing 2012.
TMP IWG Meetings
There have been (3) meetings conducted this year (2011) with subcommittee meetings regularly.
TMP PROJECTS COMPLETED:
- Implement 5 year Marketing Plan
- Current Market Positioning and TAG line (Branding)
- Industry Input into Annual Marketing Plan
- Establishing Special Events Unit
- Review effectiveness of marketing activities
- Coordinate Information on Tourism Investment
- Develop Product guidelines
- Training Needs Analysis
- Establish SME Fund
- Code share Agreement between Air Niugini and Qantas
- Support establishment of new/existing air services
- Cruise ship Strategy
TMP PROJECTS IN PROGRESS:
- Review & Implement Research and Statistics Program
- Implement Internet Strategy
- Institutional Restructure
- Tourism Incentives
- Support to IPA
- Community Based Tourism
- Accommodation Classification System
- TNA related recommendations
- Jacksons Airport 10 year plan
- Establishment of associations for all major niche products
TMP PROJECTS EARMARKED FOR COMMENCEMENT IN 2012 AND ONWARDS
- Visa Issuing and Processing Recommendations
- Facilitate Development of Provincial Tourism Plans
- Regulations & Standards for Tour Operators
- Competitive Fund for Provincial and Industry Associations
- Land Tribunal Tourism Cases
- Forum with Conservation Initiatives
- Website for Tourism Education Practitioners
- ICCC Facilitate Tourism Operators Access to Competitive Airfare Structures
- Public Support for Business and Management Reforms for Infrastructure Operations
- Implement PMV and Taxi Standard Fares
- Ensure Infrastructure Maintains to Tourism Priorities
- Establishment of Provincial Tourism Bureaus and Associations
- Tourism Police Concept
- National Hotels Association
- NCDC Beautification
- Upgrade airport infrastructure
ISSUES IN TMP IMPLEMENTATION:
In the implementation of the work program a few key issues are proving constraints:
- Lack of Provincial Government support to implement some recommendations relevant in provinces
- Lack of an effective umbrella industry association both at National & Provincial level.
- TMP reliant on other key agencies to implement some recommendations hence there has been delays and no action in some instances such as Immigration, Transport etc…
TMP REVIEW: CONDUCTED BY TRIP CONSULTANTS
A review of the TMP was conducted by Trip Consultants. The following areas were reviewed and recommendation given:
- TMP Implementation Process
- TMP Goals
- TMP Implementation Activities of the five (5) focal areas
- Investment and Product Development
- Transport and Infrastructure
- Human Resource Development
- Institutions and Partnership
Click here to download our TMP Implementation 2011 update.